Did you know that cockroaches are one of the most dangerous pests that you could find in your Fairfax home? While you’ve likely heard that cockroaches are disgusting, they are much worse than you may know.
For one thing, cockroaches are incredibly hardy and hard to remove. They can survive the application of many different chemicals, and some can even live for up to a week without having heads. They are also rather prolific and can survive on even small bits of food.
In this guide, you’ll learn why cockroaches are such a problem when they invade homes and also get some of the most effective prevention measures.
Cockroaches In Fairfax
You might have a general idea of what cockroaches look like, but these pests can sometimes be confused for other species, such as large beetles. There are also many unique species of cockroaches, but only a handful are common in the area.
The main species you’ll find invading Fairfax properties are:
- American cockroaches: These are the largest species. They are red-brown and can grow up to three inches long.
- German cockroaches: This species is the most common across the country. They are a tan to yellowish color, have two black stripes running behind their heads, and grow to be just over half an inch long.
- Oriental cockroaches: This variety of cockroach is a jet black color, and they can grow up to an inch in length.
The Reason Cockroaches Are So Dangerous
While cockroaches are generally unwelcome in the home, they aren’t just a nuisance. They are known for carrying up to 35 different diseases, including typhoid fever, dysentery, and salmonellosis. They can also cause allergic reactions and asthma attacks.
The reason why cockroaches are covered in pathogens has to do with the places they often live before getting into homes. They will live and eat sewage, dead animals, garbage, and more. Then, they spread germs from these places wherever they go next. This is a big issue as cockroaches often head directly towards kitchens or food products.
Why Are Cockroach Infestations So Difficult To Remove?
When it comes to cockroach control, these pests pose many challenges. Because they are resistant to so many insecticides, it’s often impossible to remove them using DIY methods. However, there is one effective way to both prevent and control cockroaches.
The professional pest control experts at Bluebird Pest Solutions have the tools and experience needed to eradicate cockroach infestations quickly. Give us a call today to learn about how we can protect your property from these dangerous pests.
Ways To Prevent Future Cockroach Infestations
While pest control services are the best way to deter roaches, you can also assist by taking steps to make your property less attractive to them.
Here are some things you can do to prevent cockroaches:
- Always clean up food and drink spills right away. Also, keep your kitchen cleaned often.
- Regularly take out the trash and place lids on all garbage cans.
- Reduce moisture problems around the property by using dehumidifiers and fixing leaky plumbing.
- Fix broken screens and seal up holes in the walls and foundation, using products such as foam and caulk.
- Take time to remove excess clutter around the house as well as in garages and other outbuildings.
For help preventing cockroaches and other pests, don't hesitate to call the experts at Bluebird Pest Solutions for advice or assistance.