Summer is prime time to get together with family and friends. Bees and other stinging insects may place a damper on the festivities. BlueBird Pest Solutions is a locally owned, guaranteed Fairfax pest control service dedicated to keeping your home safe from any unwanted critters near your home.
What Attracts Bees To You?
Ah, cookout season. Bees are never invited to the party, but try telling them that. They love the smells of sweet foods and drinks like tea, soda, and watermelon. They also like the aroma of human sweat on your body and want to get a whiff of hair products, lotions, perfumes, and colognes up close. You just are irresistible to them. If you are wearing bright, vibrant colors, they want to get closer in case you are a delectable flower.
What Can You Do To Protect Bees?
Funny question from a pest control company, right? We want to find the balance between safe human spaces and open eco-spaces. There are many ways to help pollinators procreate and thrive; we just want to make sure they don’t sting anyone. Here are five ways to afford protection to bees:
- Use chemical-free treatments for the bees in your yard, such as compost, which aids soil health.
- Make sure your plants have not been treated with chemicals at the nursery. Pesticides are a threat to pollinators.
- Donate hives to nature preserves and schools as a way to help preserve the bee’s important role in the ecosystem and teach the next generation of beekeepers.
- Buy honey products from a local beekeeper. Inquire about the sustainable practices used in cultivating their honey.
- If you want to welcome bees to your general area but not to where your family hangs out, consider creating a pollinator zone in the grounds of your home. You could also provide water for bees to drink in the hottest parts of the day away from human traffic.
We at Blue Bird Pest Solutions pride ourselves on our fast, reliable service to help you keep your home safe from stinging insects. Your home is as important to us as our own.
How To Treat A Bee Sting
Bees do not sting unless threatened. All it takes is a careless swat with a hand to aggravate one. If you or your family is stung, here is what to do:
Remove the stinger with a fingernail or a piece of gauze. Never use tweezers to remove a stinger; it can cause more venom to release into the skin.
Wash the site with warm water. Apply cortisone cream to alleviate swelling and itching.
Observe the person who has been stung for symptoms that may indicate an allergic reaction. A person can be allergic to bee stings with no prior warning. Signs and symptoms of anaphylaxis include:
- Queasy stomach
- Skin reactions, including hives, itching, flushed, or pale skin
- Difficulty breathing
- Swelling of the throat and tongue
Stings happen occasionally, but you can take preventive measures. Trash cans, recycling bins, grill areas, gardens, and flower beds are food sources for bees, so keep them clean to avoid any danger to your family. Call us for a free quote.
Gentle Pest Control For Bee Removal In Fairfax
We have four bee control treatment options, sure to accommodate your needs and budget. Honey bees are an endangered species and need to be relocated, not killed. We partner with beekeepers to remove bees in a safe, humane way so they can thrive elsewhere and you can enjoy your home without worry.